REA KALTIM PLANTATIONS, PT
Job Vacancy – Sustainability Assistant, REA Kaltim Plantations Group
REA Holdings (“REAH”) is a UK publicly listed company which established its first Indonesian subsidiary, PT REA Kaltim Plantations (“REAK”), in 1989. Whilst REAK originally focused on establishing oil palm plantations in KembangJanggut, KutaiKartenagara, East Kalimantan, the REA Kaltim Plantations Group now also owns oil palm concessions in Kutai Barat and KutaiTimur districts of East Kalimantan. As at 31 December 2012, the group’s titled land area totaled 70,584 hectares, of which some 36,794 hectares had been planted or was under development with oil palm and some 20,000 hectares had been set-aside as conservation reserves.
REA is committed to developing and managing its oil palm plantations in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. Compliance with national and international sustainability standards, including the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), International Sustainability and Carbon Certification (ISCC), ISO14001 and the Indonesian Sustainable Palm Oil (ISPO) standards provides the foundations for achieving this. To date, REA has obtained RSPO, ISCC and ISO14001 certification for two of its three palm oil mills and the majority of their supply base, and will seek to obtain these certifications for its third mill and new developments in the coming years.
REA is prepared to go beyond the requirements of these sustainability requirements where it believes this is necessary to mitigate the negative environmental and social impacts of its operations and meet the expectations of its stakeholders. Towards this end, in July 2013, REA published its first sustainability report, in accordance with the internationally recognised Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standard. It is the intention that such a report will be published biennially. This will enable REA’s stakeholders to better monitor the group’s sustainability performance. REA has also made a commitment to calculate and publish the carbon footprint of its operations on an annual basis. This will enablethe impact of the group’s efforts to reduce its GHG emissions to be monitored both internally and externally. Both the Sustainability Report and Carbon Footprint Report can be downloaded from REA’s website www.rea.co.uk/rea/en/sustainability/Reports
Description of the role of Sustainability Assistant
The REA Kaltim Plantations Group is looking to recruittwo new sustainability assistant,who will be based at REA’s longest established plantation in KutaiKartanegara (5-6 hours from Samarinda), East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
The successful candidates will become important members of the team responsible for ensuring that REA’s palm oil operationsachieve and maintain full compliance with the sustainability standards to which the Group has committed. This includes the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), International Sustainability and Carbon Certification (ISCC), ISO 14001, Indonesian Sustainable Palm Oil (ISPO) and PROPER standards.For the right candidate, there will be the opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of REA’s sustainability strategy and related initiatives.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting internal audits to identify the actions necessary for REA’s operations and smallholder schemes to achieve and maintain compliance with the RSPO, ISCC, ISPO and ISO14001 standards, as well as environmental regulations.
- Working closelywith the plantations operations team and relevant supporting departments to implement the actions necessary to achieve full compliance with the sustainability standards.
- Assisting with the reporting and monitoring required to comply with national environmental regulations
- Accompanying auditors and consultants on sustainability related visits to the plantation
- Engaging with government representatives, NGOs and other stakeholders on sustainability related issues as and when required
Required education, experience & skills
- An undergraduate (S1) degree in agriculture, natural resource management, the environment or other relevant subject
- Experience of working with certification systems and standards highly desirable. This may be from the perspective of a consultant, auditor, company or NGO.
- A good knowledge of, and a keen interest in, the environmental and social issues relating to the production of tropical agricultural commodities
- The ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Organised with good time management
- A team player
- Willingness to live on a remote oil palm plantation
If you are interested in applying for the position please send a letter of application and Curriculum Vitae to Sophie Persey at :
This should include the following information:
- How your experience, experience & skills matches the requirements detailed above
- Current location and availability for an interview in either Jakarta or Samarinda
- Past salary history
- Two referees
Please send your application as soon as possible, but no later than Friday 1st August 2014.